While novated leasing is widely known as a salary packaging benefit that can offer potentially significant tax savings on the cost of getting into and running a car, an added benefit of having a fully-maintained novated lease with Maxxia is access to our expert Maintenance team. Given they save Maxxia customers a combined amount of hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, we thought we’d share one magic moment each month. These stories detail the experiences – and savings – of real-world customers.
A bit about our Maintenance crew
They’re actually a team of experienced mechanics who take charge of our customers’ novated lease vehicles at service time.
All Maxxia customers need to do is drop the car in, and, when it’s ready, pick it up.
In between, our Maintenance team will deal directly with mechanics to confirm and negotiate costs, and ensure all work meets manufacturer standards and is reasonable and consistent with the age and condition of the car.
They’ll also make sure customers are advised of all work to be carried out, and, once the final costs have been confirmed, pay the invoice directly from their novated lease account balance.
“We’re very diligent in the questions we ask service providers, and in stamping out ‘upsells’,” says Daniel Jakopovic, Senior Maintenance Controller.
“If there’s anything not required per the schedule the team will push back.”
M15: "Price negotiation: $140 Saving"
"If the price doesn’t sound reasonable, we push back – that's the motto of our experienced maintenance team. So when customer Abhishek was quoted $290 for a wheel alignment, rotate and balance as part of a routine service, our team negotiated a better price for this work with the service provider. Result: A $140 saving for Abhishek."
The $140 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote issued by the dealer to the customer for a wheel alignment, tyre rotation and balance rate was $290;
- The Maxxia Maintenance Team made a request that the dealer offer a better price, and the dealer agreed to provide the wheel alignment, tyre rotation and balance rate for $150.
M14: "Price-matched tyres: $100 Saving"
"We know that many drivers simply accept quotes when it comes to servicing and part replacements. We also know that tyre replacements are no exception – so when customer Naomi was quoted $247 per tyre from her supplier, we cross-checked and found one of our approved suppliers has the same tyre at $197. Result: The supplier agreed to price-match, saving Naomi $100 for two tyres."
The $100 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- Two tyres on the customer's vehicle needed to be replaced.
- The dealer quoted the customer $247 per tyre fitted (so that it would cost the customer $494 in total);
- The Maxxia Maintenance Team subsequently cross-checked this quote with its major suppliers, who quoted $197 per tyre for the identical tyre brand and mode;
- On sharing this quote with the original dealer, the dealer offered to match the price of $197 per tyre (so that the customer paid $394 in total).
M13: "Reinforcing fleet discount rate: $46 Saving"
"A novated lease with Maxxia is more than just a car. It's potential tax savings. It’s budget convenience. And it’s also access to our super-experienced maintenance team who take charge at service time. Case in point: customer Damian, whose dealer quoted $119 for a brake fluid flush. We advised the dealer that Maxxia customers are entitled to an agreed discounted fleet rate. Result: Discount was granted, saving Damian $46."
The $46 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote issued to the customer by the dealer for a 60km service included an amount of $119 for a fluid brake flush, which was the retail price.
- The Maxxia Maintenance Team reminded the dealer that Maxxia was not a retail customer, and that customers of Maxxia are entitled to pay a discounted fleet rate (which in this case was $73 for a fluid brake flush).
- The dealer agreed to apply the discount, which saved the customer $46 off the service cost.
M12: "Low mileage goodwill: $837 Saving"
"Every day our experienced maintenance team use their industry nous to seek out savings big and small for our novated leasing customers. One such customer, Steven, had been quoted more than $800 to get back on the road after his turbocharger failed him. Given Steven's low mileage – 72,300 kilometres – we sought goodwill from the manufacturer. Result: Goodwill was approved, saving Steven $837."
The $837 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote issued to the customer to replace a failed turbocharger was $837;
- Given the customer's low mileage of 72,314km, the Maxxia Maintenance Team sought goodwill from the manufacturer in relation to the turbocharger;
- The manufacturer agreed to replace the turbocharger on goodwill, saving the customer $837 in this instance.
M11: "Competitive tyre price: $150 Saving"
"A popular point of difference with a Maxxia novated lease is our team of experienced mechanics, who deal directly with our customers’ service providers to ensure costs are fair and reasonable. This process can save time, stress and money – as customer Barbara can attest to. When she was quoted $1,300 for four new tyres, a cross-check against our suppliers found the price wasn’t competitive. Result: The workshop matched our price, saving Barbara $150."
A saving of $150 was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote issued to the customer by an independent supplier was $1,300 in total for the replacement of four tyres;
- The Maxxia Maintenance Team subsequently cross-checked this quote against its major suppliers to ensure that the original quote was competitive and found that they charge $1,150.
- On sharing this quote with the original supplier, the supplier offered to match Maxxia's major suppliers, saving the customer $150.
M10: "50% Labour time saved on repair"
"Our maintenance team are meticulous when it comes to ensuring our novated leasing customers’ servicing costs are fair. Case in point: customer Adam, who was quoted by his supplier that two hours was needed to replace his car’s rear shockers. We checked our Repair Time Guide, which stated only one hour is required to carry out this repair. Result: A $132 saving for Adam."
- Hourly repair cost was quoted at $132 per hour. The customer saved $132 when the Maxxia Maintenance Team was able to confirm that the relevant repair work should only take 1 hour, rather than 2. Savings covered labour only and excluded the cost of car parts that were replaced.
M09: "Service history diligence on our part: $70 Saving"
"When Maxxia novated leasing customer Gavin checked in his car for a service, his dealer rang our maintenance team requesting approval to carry out a brake fluid flush. We confirmed the dealer carried out this work in the previous service, six months prior. Result: The request was declined – and Gavin saved $70"
- The $70 saving reflects the quoted price provided by the repairer for the brake fluid flush, which the repairer did not carry out following a discussion with the Maxxia Maintenance Team regarding servicing history.
M08: "75% Saving: Industry knowledge"
"A popular aspect of a Maxxia novated lease is the support of our maintenance team – comprised of experienced mechanics with ingrained industry nous. Customer Ranel observed this firsthand upon being told by his dealer during a 40,000-kilometre service that his car battery needed replacing. Knowing this manufacturer is reasonable regarding assistance on batteries when car mileage is low, our maintenance team contacted them. Result: The manufacturer agreed to cover 75% of the cost – resulting in a $154 saving for Ranel."
- Original cost of the battery was [$205] but the [dealer] covered 75% of the cost, saving the customer $154 in this instance.
M07: "Goodwill Assistance: 100% Coverage"
"When novated leasing customer Anthony booked in his car for a routine 105,000-kilometre service, his dealer quoted him $1,585 to fix several items, including the replacement of three door actuators. Our maintenance team confirmed details of Anthony’s warranty, which expired at 100,000 kilometres. However, as the warranty had only just expired Goodwill Assistance was requested – and approved. Result: A $1585 saving for Anthony – and praise for our maintenance controller: “You’re a champion!”"
- The reference to 100% coverage only relates to the repairs carried out on the door actuators. The total cost to replace those door actuators was quoted at $1,585 however after the Maxxia Maintenance Team spoke to the dealer, the dealer agreed to provide full (100%) coverage for the repairs to the door actuators despite the warranty having expired.
M06: "$101 Saving: Phone call recording"
"We all know service time can mean hip-pocket pain. With a Maxxia novated lease, our maintenance team always ensure quoted costs are reasonable – like with customer Alejandro, who was given a final cost of $1545 for a major service, despite the dealer earlier quoting $1444. Our team checked the original call recording, confirming the $1444 quote. Result: A copy of the recording was sent to the dealer – saving Alejandro $101."
A saving of $101.12 was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote given to the Maxxia Maintenance Team from the repairer was $1,443.88 and the call was recorded (with the consent of the repairer) at the time the quote was given.
- When the customer brought the pricing discrepancy to the Maxxia Maintenance Team's attention, we confirmed with the customer that the scope of work carried out by the repairer had not changed.
- After liaising with the repairer, and showing the repairer the call recording, the final invoice was issued by the repairer in the same amount as the quote, saving the customer $101.12.
M05: "Simple servicing history review: $60 Saving"
"Our maintenance team are renowned for their service-history diligence. So, when novated leasing customer Sarah checked her car in for a routine 60,000km service, her dealer stated her brake fluid needed replacing. We checked the previous servicing work on Sarah’s car and advised the dealer that brake fluid was replaced only seven months earlier. Result: A $60.50 saving (every little bit counts!)"
The $60.50 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The $60.50 saving reflects the quoted price provided by the repairer for the brake fluid replacement, which the repairer did not carry out following a discussion with the Maxxia Maintenance Team regarding servicing history.
M04: "$150 Saving: Tyre price cross-check"
"Our maintenance team are always diligent in questioning the costs of our customers’ service providers. So when novated leasing customer Kaija needed four new tyres and was quoted $171 per tyre, we compared this price against our major suppliers – and asked the dealer to match the price. Result: The dealer did, and Kaija saved $150."
The $150 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote given to the customer by the dealer for the replacement of four tyres was $686.40 ($$171.60 per tyre);
- The Maxxia Maintenance Team subsequently cross-checked this quote with one of its major suppliers who provided Maxxia with a quote of $134 per tyre for the identical tyre brand and model; and
- On sharing this quote with the original dealer, the dealer offered to beat the quoted price and offered a revised price of $134 per tyre (meaning the customer paid $536 in total).
M03: "We'll stamp out unnecessary upsells"
"When Maxxia novated leasing customer Alastair’s dealer wanted to carry out a wheel alignment as part of a regular service, our Maintenance team questioned the job – and discovered the last alignment was done by the same dealer approximately 5,000 kilometres earlier. Result: a $55 saving for Alastair (every dollar counts!)"
The $55 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The wheel alignment and tyre rotation rate quoted by the dealer was $136.50 per hour, with the usual time allowance for this activity for the specific car model and brand being 0.4 hours;
- Maxxia’s Maintenance Team was able to identify that the wheel alignment was not required via the assessment of the number of kilometres travelled since the previous wheel alignment was completed and also by relying on the car manufacturer’s guidelines and standards.
M02: "$100 Saving: Tyre price cross-check"
"When Maxxia novated leasing customer Marianne was quoted $1,420 for four tyres, our Maintenance team cross-checked the quote with one of our major suppliers. Result: a $100 saving for Marianne."
The $100 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote given to the customer by the dealer for the replacement of four tyres was $1,420 ($355 per tyre);
- The Maxxia Maintenance Team subsequently cross-checked this quote with one of its major suppliers who provided Maxxia with a quote of $334.50 per tyre for the identical tyre brand and model;
- On sharing this quote with the original dealer, the dealer offered to beat the quoted price and offered a revised price of $330 per tyre (meaning the customer paid $1,320 in total).
M01: "50% Labour time saved than originally quoted"
"When novated leasing customer Stuart was quoted four hours to carry out brake repairs on his car, our Maintenance team reviewed the repair time manual — and promptly advised Stuart’s mechanic the repair time should be two hours. Result: a $286 saving for Stuart."
The $286 saving was achieved using the following calculation:
- The original quote given to the Maxxia Maintenance Team from the repairer was $143 per hour including GST with the time quoted for repairs being 4 hours;
- Maxxia’s Maintenance Team after inspecting the manual for the vehicle (regarding break repairs) and relying on their industry expertise for this type of repair on the specific brand and model of the vehicle were able to analyse that the quoted repairs should only take a maximum of 2 hours;
- After liaising with the repairer, the quote was subsequently revised by the repairer to 2 hours in place of the original quote of 4 hours.